Chef Robert Ash
As Executive Chef of the historic Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, Robert Ash has become synonymous with downtown dining. Overseeing The Pfister’s array of historic restaurants and lounges including Café at The Pfister, Blu and The Rouge, Ash has more than a decade of culinary experience that also includes Executive Chef positions at InterContinental Milwaukee hotel and acclaimed restaurant Kil@wat.
caramel-rum sauce, vanilla bean ice cream
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 medium granny smith apples
- 2 cups light brown sugar-packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Crisco or solid vegetable shortening
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 9"x13"x2" baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Coarsely chop apple in food processor and set aside.
- In an electric mixer cream together both sugars, shortening, and eggs until smooth approximately 2 minutes. Stir in flour mixture, apples and nuts.
- Pour into prepped baking pan and place in oven, bake for 50-60 minutes or until dark brown and firm in the center when pressed with fingertip.
Caramel Rum Sauce Ingredients
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp light corn syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rum liquor
- In a small pan combine the sugars, butter, cream and corn syrup.
- Bring to a bowl on high heat, boil for 1 minute then remove from heat, cool for 3-4 minutes then stir in vanilla and rum.