Chef Robert Ash
As Executive Chef of the historic Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee, Robert Ash has become synonymous with downtown dining. Overseeing The Pfister’s array of historic restaurants and lounges including Café at The Pfister, Blu and The Rouge, Ash has more than a decade of culinary experience that also includes Executive Chef positions at InterContinental Milwaukee hotel and acclaimed restaurant Kil@wat.
A classic done well
- 1 quart heavy cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 10 each egg yolks
- 2 each vanilla beans
- Split the vanilla beans in half and scrap the seeds place the whole bean and the seeds in a medium pot with the heavy cream.
- Combine the granulated sugar and the egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl, slowly incorporate the warm cream by tempering it into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Strain the mixture.
- In a shallow baking pan place bake proof ceramic dishes around 8 oz capacity.
- Fill the dishes 3/4 of the way with the strained cream mixture.
- Place into a 300°F oven, then fill the pan with warm water until it reaches half way up the side of the dish, cover pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until set may take longer or shorter depending on the size of the baking dish.
- Dust the top with sugar in the raw and caramelize with a butane torch or under a oven broiler.
- Serve with fresh berries.